Thursday, September 8, 2011

korean comfort food




Mark once asked me if I could choose to eat one Korean side dish (bban chan) for the rest of my life which one would I choose?  I think any self-respecting Korean would either say or have to consider saying kimchi.  My father says that in a Korean household it's never a real meal without kimchi.  For us it's almost the visible symbol of being Korean.  It gets added to all sorts of dishes: soup, rice, noodles, you name it we add it.  Even with the famous Kogi trucks kimchi was one of the first ingredients used to create Korean-Mexican fusion food.

One of my favorite traditional kimchi applications is in bbin-deh dduk or "Korean pancake."  The dry mix for the batter is sold in Asian food markets and you basically add whatever additional ingredients you want.  Seafood, scallions, onions, peppers, kimchi, whatever you want really.  Mmm, I love how comfort food just hits the spot, you know?  It's like getting together with an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover