Friday, July 8, 2011

meatloaf


In my quest to make food that can be made ahead for Mark's lunch and be freeze-able I decided to make an old standby: meatloaf.  These mini meatloaves look like little footballs but they're the perfect serving size for one.  My meatloaf is full of veggies and I even got to make use of my pre-minced garlic from this previous post, here.

I follow Michael Chiarello's recipe for Italian Meatloaf only I add 2 small carrots and 2 ribs of celery to the veggies and in place of marinara sauce I top my loaves with tomato paste.  These mini meatloaves are packed with good-for-you stuff and it's nearly a 1:1 ration of meat to veggie after the extra produce I added.  A good trick is to bake the little guys is on a rack fitted in a rimmed sheet lined with foil.  This way the grease drains out and away from the loaves and clean up will be a cinch.

After you've baked the batch just let them cool on the rack before wrapping them in plastic wrap and popping them in the freezer for later.  Defrost over night in the fridge and microwave when you're ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover