Thursday, June 2, 2011

domestic goddess...or just unemployed


So married life has been great.  I actually like doing things like laundry and cooking but mostly because I'm unemployed and I have nothing better to do than to do domestic kinds of duties....cooking duty.  Dead guy duty. ("Nacho Libre", anyone?!) Not having a car doesn't help (I still have to learn how to drive Mark's stick shift car).  Not that I have any idea how to get to the freaking Target.  Welcome to Chicago, California girl.  Geez....

In my times of domestic bliss I always thank ATK (America's Test Kitchen) for foolproof recipes that I can turn to. Here's my first try at quite possibly the easiest biscuits EVER.

Cream Biscuits (from the ATK Family Cookbook)
makes 8

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for the counter
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.  Stir in cream with wooden spoon until the dough forms, about 30 seconds.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and gather into a ball.  Knead the dough briefly until smooth, about 30 seconds.  (Don't over handle the dough)

3. Pat the dough into a 3/4 inch circle.  Cut biscuits into rounds or 8 wedges if you're like me and don't have a biscuit cutter cut with a knife.  Place the biscuits on lined baking sheet.  Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.


So I think I could've kept my first batch in for a minute or two longer to make them really golden brown but they still came out pretty tasty for not having any butter in them.  The heavy cream really gives it a light almost buttery taste.  I made a second batch and wrapped them in plastic wrap and stuck them in the freezer for a later time.  If you're keeping some in the fridge for immediate – i'll eat them soon consumption reheat in a toaster oven for added crustiness on the outside or in the microwave for a softer biscuit.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover