Ok, so it's not "healthy" as in "good for you" but healthier than your usual chocolate chip cookie. Thanks to Mark's wonderful cousin and her fiancé (thank you!) we received the ATK's Healthy Cookbook as a wedding gift. I know, I know, I'm like a broken record with the America's Test Kitchen bit. And yes, I DO own other cookbooks....
Here are the numbers:
Original ATK choco chip cookie:
Calories: 190, Fat 15g, Sat Fat 10g, Cholesterol 55 mg
"Healthy" ATK choco chip cookie:
Calories, 120, Fat 5g, Sat Fat 3.5g, Cholesterol 20mg
They were able to achieve the lower numbers by making a more modestly sized cookie (not a same-size-as-your-face size cookie) and cutting the butter and chocolate content without cutting the taste. For me personally I totally didn't mind the smaller amount of chocolate because I'm not much of a chocoholic myself.
Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie (ATK Healthy Cookbook)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
5 Tb unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Whisk flour, salt, baking soda together in a bowl.
2. Melt 3 Tb of butter in a skillet over med-high heat until butter is dark golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in remaining 2 Tb of butter until completely melted.
3. Whisk brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla into melted butter until incorporated. Whisk egg until the mixture is smooth with no lumps, about 30 seconds. Le the mixture stand for 3 min, then whisk vigorously for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking twice more until mixtures is thick, smooth, and shiny. Stir in flour mixture and 6 Tb of chips until combined
4. Working with 1 heaping Tb of dough at a time, roll the dough into balls and lay them on the parchment lined baking sheets, spaced 2 1/2 inches apart. Press the remaining 2 Tb of chips into the tops of the cookies.
5. Bake cookies, one sheet at a time until the edges are set and centers are soft and underdone, 8-11 min, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking.
6. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 min, then serve warm or transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
**Freeze unbaked dough balls for future use. To bake, arrange frozen cookies on baking sheet and bake as directed, increasing the baking time to 13-16 min.